I was called about this colony last fall. I explained to the homeowner that removing these bees during the fall would very likely kill them. She agreed to wait until spring to have them removed. I was very excited to get the call a few days ago that they had overwintered.
They were in a relatively easy place to access, in the roof of a balcony.
The queen was located pretty easily on the second to last comb I removed. They were preparing to swarm, as most colonies are this time of year, with full combs of drone brood, and a few swarm cells just starting.
All of the combs fit the entire frames, except the last one, so I used that frame to band the queen cage into. I will release her after a few days.
There was still quite a bit of honey and bees left in the cavity when I was done. So I smoked them all away, and left the hive right underneath. The bees will rob the remaining honey. It will be much easier, and less sticky to finish cleaning up once they are done.